Forum home The potting shed

Does anyone talk to their plants?

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

GROAN!   image

OK, Verdun, that deserves revenge.  Let me go away and think of something...

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Verdun!!! How do you do it?image

I just think it is so wonderful that all my plants speak/understand English. How on earth do gardeners abroad manage?image

• donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 475

I talk to my plants, say good morning and good night to them and tell them how good they looking, I know, I'm weird but they seem to respond well. 

Verdun, what are you like!!

I do worry that when I see my tree peony flowering in late spring and invite neighbours over for a glass of wine to admire the huge white blossoms, that the roses may get jealous; am I being paranoid?image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,131

I talk to my plants, but I also talk to the oven and the food while cooking and other things. I thought it had something to do with being on my own after my OH no.1 died 15 years ago. I met OH No.2 a few years ago and he remarked that I talk to myself, I said it wasn't to myself, it was to things and plants. It's a relief to know that some of you do it too and I'm not nuts!

artjak, I speak to my plants and my animals in English. They are French, but they understand. Well, dog is a Border Collie so not originally French, just born here!

Dordogne and Norfolk

B-L. the border collie may need the odd Welsh word, are you up for that?image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 15,131

He's the slightly bigger Scottish sort! But he's learnt English since he was a puppy.

Dordogne and Norfolk

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

I always wondered that about foreign animals, can they understand English animals and do dogs 'speak' differently to each other???  I think they understand humans whatever language you use as they use senses, the tone of our voice and body language more than actual words....hmmmmmmm, I'll ask my hounds and see what they say image