Forum home The potting shed

Does anyone talk to their plants?

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Of course, how else do they know you love them, and how else do you encourage them?  Stroking is also important - maybe when slightly bigger!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Verdun image

No I don't talk to them. 

Do talk to the birds tho'. Also swear at inanimate objects like the kettle, which switches itself off the minute I step away. Also swear at the oven that doesn't cook things according to my plans. Also the nasty thing burns me out of spite image

Don't get me going about the iron, that thing spits at me..that isn't nice is it?

• Plant itPlant it Posts: 155

I talk to me plants thats how my wife found out I was the lunatic she always suspected I was.

• Rosie31Rosie31 Posts: 483

Oh, Verdun.  You're eryngiums are so lucky.  But don't the asters get jealous?

• KT53KT53 Posts: 4,604

I've never talked to my plants.  I used to swear at the weeds but that just seemed to encourage them.image

• Me too! poor things get talked or sung to death! I do agree that swearing at the weeds has no effect whatsoever, and the creeping buttercups just laugh in the face of threats (and use) of glyphosate!

My lovely fuchsia standards seem to be responding well, which is more than I can say about the kids!

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Exactly KT53, because you were talking to them image

I got a very strange look tonight walking my dogs on the field and I was talking to them, now that I did think was normal image

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,078

When I plant anything new in my garden I say at little poem to it

it goes like this

You have been planted with love and care

For me and others too share

Be strong and grow to your best

For as a gardener ,  I will not accept less

It works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't

• "I like small speakers, I like tall speakers, if they've music they're wired for sound"

A little Cliff Richard for the Cliff lovers amongst you. Oh wait a minute there aren't any!

Probably best to just quote that to whatever you want to kill off in your gardens instead image