Forum home Talkback

Monty don new presenter for Chelsea

Well myself I'm thinking what took so long ? There's nobody else who could do it better than Monty for true hands on proper gardening the man who puts the culture into horticulture the organic icon its high time there was a repeat showing of the Geoff Hamilton era gardeners world 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,437

Maybe it's an age thing, ( like your fave Dr Who ) but I reckon Geoff was the best ever. I have to disagree , I think many could do it better than Monty.

Devon.
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,209

Its the newsgirl he is doing a double act with that surprises me - doesn't garden but "likes looking at them" ...... We shall see ....

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,437

Chicky I couldn't agree more. Sophie Rayworth is lovely ,I'm quite sure, and very good as a newsreader: but presenting Chelsea?????

There are tens of thousands of people in this country who earn their living in horticulture, couldn't the BBC find one of them ?

And, can I put in a plea for more garden shots and no tours of rather poor gardens of C list " celebrities" .These seem to be creeping into GW now. I'm perfectly fond of Sandi Toksvig, Julian Clary , Esther Ransen et al, but I'm not really interested in their gardens to be honest.

Devon.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,076

It seems bizarre and perverse to me.  Monty has always made clear his dislike of the razzmatazz of Chelsea preferring simpler shows like Malvern which are also closer to home.  

I've always enjoyed AT at the helm at Chelsea as he combines so well the role of gardening knowledge and expertise with ease in front of the camera and with other people from all walks of life.  He's also desiged a garden and won gold at Chelsea which MD has never even attempted. 

Sophie Rayworth has to be an improvement on Nikki Chapman who has no shame in showings he knows nothing abut plants and gardening even after all the years she's been doing daytime Chelsea.   I sincerely hope she bringe her intelligence to the role.

I too can do without poking around "celebrity" gardens.  I want to see good gardens so for me it would be better to show case yellow Book gardens - but not during Chelsea coverage.  There I want to see the gardens, big and small, in the show and the nurserymen and women who combines all their skills and experience to bring wonderful plants to exhibit.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,076

Presenting GW is very different from presenting Chelsea which is watched by and appeals to non gardeners and gardeners alike.  I can't really see Monty's devout approach to gardening inspiring non gardeners to take up a trowel whereas AT's sense of fun and wonder surely does.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 6,841

The introduction of Sophie Raworth and other non-gardeners is just more evidence of the dumbing down of TV.  I have no problem with the inclusion of enthusiastic amateurs but for somebody to state they basically aren't interested in gardening and then present this seems perverse.

Somewhat different with Richard Hammond as he's been wildlife mad all his life.  That said I thought "Africa Live" or whatever it was called was rubbish - not his fault.  Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have a live show like that, on peak time evening TV, from an area 3 or 4 hours ahead of us?  It's dark then you numpties!!!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,003

Much as I like Monty, I have to agree with Obelixx that Chelsea is all about "fluff" and that his style is not really appropriate, whereas ATs warmth and presentational skills are ideal.

How about Diarmuid Gavin to shake things up a bit?

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,503

Oh no - not DG pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!!!

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

I would much rather have a good presenter with a fun personality and willingness to learn and listen than an "expert" gardener who doesn't know how to present nor act to the camera. We have Monty for his expertise hopefully this other lass will keep us all excited.