mulch query

I've just got some Strulch to mulch around my trees, hedge and strawberry bed.  I have enough left to mulch another bed which has echinacea in if it survived the winter but I can't see the crowns yet.  Can I  mulch now and will the echinacea push their way through the mulch or do I need to wait until growth starts so I can avoid the crowns?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,197

If theres absolutely no sign of growth, you can cover them up. If they have signs of growth, just put around each crown. Mine are already showing small leaves, and I have mulched around them.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,718

Mulch needs to be applied when the soil is damp so it helps to keep the moisture in; if the soil is dry the mulch will prevent the soil from wetting. I dont spread mulch over my borders as I try to encourage self seeding. However in late spring when I can see what is what, I try to "tickle" some mulch gently between plants. I then do a bit more before plants set seed.

Time slide, place to hide, nudge reality
    Foresight, minds wide, magic imagery, oh-ho...
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,677

MrsG - what is Strulch? Is it a straw based mulch?

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Yes Fairygirl, last year I used the bog standard chipped bark around new bareroot trees etc to keep weeds from around the plants while they got established but it lasted about 5 minutes, especially with the birds flicking it everywhere looking for food. It is quite expensive but it does say it lasts for 2 years and the bales are big. I think it is also 'fortified' with something like iron.  

So re: mulching the bed I should leave it a bit longer for the soil to warm up then just do round the plants of they ever resurface?  As the weather has been so mild I already have weeds growing!  The other bed I've put some on is totally empty and I plan to put pot grown annuals into it by moving the mulch aside. I'm on clay so I need to mulch to improve the state of the soil.  Hopefully I will be using homemade compost in Autumn as I can't afford to do shop bought every year!

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Maybe I'll use the mulch to do round my hellebore then as they are in flower now and I can see the crowns of the other plants around there.