Forum home Talkback

Is this the dreaded Japanese Knotweed!! Ident and advise required

Hi, I have just come across this in a garden, have I correctly identified it as Japanese Knotweed, if so what is the next course of action as gardeners are not yet allowed to chemically treat it. image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Need to see the leaves Paul.

• hmm, it doesn't have any on at the moment. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,555

Has a resemblance to Leycesteria formosa.

But as artjak says, we need to see the leaves. Shape of the whole plant and its base would be good as well

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,271

Don't think it's Knotweed - the dreaded JK has shoots and leaves growing alternately from each side of the stem - yours looks as if the shoots are growing in pairs.  

Are there any leaves we can have a look at?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Dove, do you know if JKWeed has slightly reddish stems?

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..nothing like Knotweed...   might be Fennel..?

Paul, where did you hear that gardeners cannot chemically treat it?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,145

I think the stems are a bit redder on JK.  Is there a lot of it Paul, and what sort of height is it just now?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Yes leycesteria formosa does look familiar in the photos but so does JK. Does leycesteria formosa have multiple stems at the base like Japanese knotweed, she said that she thought a neighbour had some JK a while ago. 

Ah well spotted DFA, so JK does not have leaves in pairs. Ok so I think we might be onto something. I might have to go back to get more photos, I shall take photos of the base, any leaves and stems.