Forum home Wildlife gardening

Can anyone help identify what bird this is?

• Dan.troDan.tro Posts: 7

greatspotted woodpecker I believe

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,630

Fitz i cant tell the size of it  but it does look like a greater spotted woody

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,211

I agree.  They visit my garden in two family groups - one that likes the peanut feeders and one that prefers the fat balls.  Great fun when they bring their babies.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,543

Yes, it's a female Greater Spotted Woodpecker image the males have red at the nape of the neck.

Lucky you - if you want to put food out for it they really like those fat blocks in wire cages, the ones that have insects in the mixture.  

With a bit of luck if they know that the food is there they'll bring the youngsters to feed there later in the spring - the youngsters have red caps.

I used to watch a pair bring the juveniles each year to the feeders outside my office window. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,543

Snap Obelixx image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705

Mine like the pink cranberry fat blocks, best.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

it is a great spotted wood pecker and lovely they are.

• Female Great Spotted Woodpecker, I use to watch these feeding their young when I was lucky enough to work for the RSPB.  It was the best job I ever had!

• Just noticed this one. Was lucky to see one of these on my bird table a couple of weeks ago,  fabulous! Not seen it since, what a shame!