Forum home Plants

Plant suggestions

Dan.troDan.tro Posts: 7

Ca I have some suggestions for plant which will grow on a steep bank, need to be low maintenance but provide good ground cover/spread. The soil is dry and stony and at the moment only has moss growing on it. There is a heather which is doing well but not spreading so what do people suggest? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,041

If it's covered in moss - it a bit shady  Dan? Heathers prefer a bit of sun so maybe that's why it's not doing much. A pic would be great if you can manage it. 

However, Periwinkles will grow there - Vinca. The flowers are shades of blue or purple and there's also a white variety. Hardy Geraniums will be happy there whether it's sunny or a bit shady and they come in lots of colours. Easy to obtain and maintain. Euonymous are variegated shrubs which will be happy there - no real flowers but evergreen and easy to keep. Brunnera is another useful low grower and is also evergreen - small blue flowers on those usually -  it likes a bit of shade but it doesn't like it too dry so if you can give a bit more info on the conditions that would really help. Lamium also likes a similar situation to Brunnera. Small  purple/pink/white flowers depending on variety image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Hello Dan, i agree with "fairygirl" a brunnera would be brilliant here theres many varieties to choose from but here is a few, Brunnera Jack frost? Brunnera Hadspen Cream? http://www.letsgoplanting.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&filter_name=brunnera have a look yourself....and reasonably priced to be honest!

Happy planting

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Plantaholic please see my post on Newbie thread.

• Dan.troDan.tro Posts: 7

Thanks guys i'll have a trawl through and see what I like. This is the area Fairygirl, it's on the west side of the house which does get light but shady later on due to houses on that side.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk105/dantro-photo/2013-08-05200736_zpse9b7e026.jpg

you can see the bareish patch in the middle where nothing seems to take and the heather (I think it's that)