Forum home Problem solving

Planting for cut flowers

Hi wondering if anyone can help please. I would like to grow perennials for cut flowers this summer. i have never tried this before.The  spot I am looking at is on the site of an old greenhouse semi shaded and fenced, hedge behind, north west facing. Probably some simple vegs here too. Ok so my questions.... What is easiest to start with? do I buy as small plants from garden centre? Plug plants now? (Have got a place to bring these on) what varieties go best together?  Is it daft trying in this position? Thanks in anticipation image

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

Liney Am new to gardening just about 16 month ago i planted these lilies in tubs and they where great here's a picture of some in a vase.

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

All the flowers in that vase where from my garden so if i can do it anybody can these where all done in tubs for cut flowers.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,873

For cut flowers.

Sweet peas.sow seed now.

Gladioli  or lilies get bulbs, in now

dahlias  seed or tuber.  Crysanths get plugs or pots.

What do you like?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,873

Also Sarah Raven has a book called The cutting garden. You can get it from Amazon.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • LineyLiney Posts: 3

Thanks Andy19 and fidget bones, all these sound great. Sweet peas can I start from seed in a cool conservatory? Also will look book up x

• jools6jools6 Posts: 62

cosmos grow easily from seed and are a nice cut flower as are godetia and agrostemma (ocean pearl ) these need to be sown this month .

• LineyLiney Posts: 3

Thanks jools will look these ones up 

• Hi. I would also like to grow cut flowers and am going to set aside a patch at my allotment.  So far my ideas are Cosmos, I like purity which is white, delphinium, salvia (cant remember exact type)  Dwarf sunflowers,  sweet peas. Dahlias. Any other ideas greatfully received. X  I have loads of seeds ive collected over the last few months and will just try a few of each.