plug plants

Good afternoon all, I have just had a delivery of hardy geraniums delivered. I have prepared the soil, do I plant out now or pot on? Some are bare roots others are plugs. Many thanks for any comments.

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

I'd pot them on first, they might need hardening off too

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,634

I always pot up small plants or bare roots, and for hardy geraniums put in a sheltered position or coldframe. When they are actively growing and the pot is full of new roots, then I would plant in final position.  That way, if you have any failures, they are easy to spot (and complain about)

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • I agree - pot them on and plant out when roots are

well established.
  • SFordSFord Posts: 224

I potted my recently delivered bare root hardy geraniums a week or so ago and popped them onto my conservatory windowsill.  They are sent up shoots and are  about 3-4 inches high already!  As its predicted to be mild and dry over the next few days I will put them out in a sheltered spot until I find a space to put them

• Many thanks everyone, much appreciated.image

An update since I last posted on 10 March - plants are now romping away in the sunshine and I will plant them out in the next couple of weeks!

• Be careful everyone, it's forecasted colder again this weekend!

Thanks 'LL'  - they are in a sheltered spot and living in Cornwall we are fairly lucky with hard frosts (or lack of) - famous last words!