Forum home Plants

nicotiana sowing

cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

Just curious about possible trying to grow this plant. Does it self sow and can I direct sow into the garden, Also if I start them indoors when is the best time. Thanks

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,856

I grow N. sylvestris, affinis and langsdorffiana (spelling?). I shall be sowing any time now. I've never had self sowing but I do get over-wintering by N. sylvestris.

I sow in pots in the cold GH

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

They're half hardy annuals, so sow indoors, most are hybrids so they won't come true if you save the seed, I'd treat them as annuals really, good for one season, but after that buy new seed. Go to one of the seed supplier websites and look them up, there are full instructions on sowing there. They're usually on the packet as well.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

Thanks nutcutlet I have a mini greenhouse or cold frame outside if I sow in pots in this will that be fine?

That's fine. Dave's right about the nicotiana sold as bedding plants. Sylvestris is perennial and hardier.  All mine are species and seed true.

• BiljeBilje Posts: 726

Hi Cairnsie, we live in the same area. I tried N. Sylvestris a few years ago it was easy to grow got very tall six feet I think but never flowered and I lost it over the winter. I have grown the annual ones but the scent wasn't as good as I was expecting I think they are now bred for showier flowers. Have a look at Chilterns seeds on line they sell a huge range of seeds. The catalogue is a bedside read for me....very sad. 

I'd rate affinis above sylvestris. Not so tall and flowers sooner. Fantastic evening scent

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,423

Recently sowed seeds I saved from Nicotiana perfume mixed that I grew last year. It was scented in the evenings. I chose pale lilac and purple and kept them separate. I wonder if they will come true, lots have come up, used an electric propagator.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BiljeBilje Posts: 726

Thanks Nut ...now you've got me looking at N. affinis. That's just after having a great afternoon gardening and realising already I'm short of space with plants clambering for a home.

• cairnsiecairnsie Posts: 388

Thanks everyone I was looking at n.affinis as its a tad shorter and flowers sooner ill have ago and see how they turn out.

Good choice cairnsie