pergola - wisteria or clematis?

I have just had a brainwave where I can put a new pergola. I would love to grow a wisteria but am not sure how long it would be before it gave decent coverage, flowers etc. I also thought of clematis,( not keen on having to prune thorny roses). Any advice and pros and cons of wisteria and other climbers would be appreciated, thanks.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Wisteria needs a large sunny wall really, they can go to 9 metres. You can train them on pergola's and they can look very good, it depends on the size of the pergola, the bigger the pergola the better wisteria look. If it a small pergola, I'd go for clematis instead.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,736
    Thanks. Next job is to look at pergola sizes then. Bit concerned a wisteria may take years before flowering, are any varieties better than others? Any suggestions about where to buy a reasonably established one (at reasonable cost)? also considering wisteria for may, June, alongside clematis for late summer, will they grow well together or will the wisteria swamp the clematis? Thanks again.
  • Wisteria is also a lot of work to get a spectacular display. Trim runners back 3 buds in august then 2 buds in January..... Fine when it's just a few but after it grows watch out!!! Saying that I love mine and I'm hoping it flowers this year!!! We had 2 flowers last year both eaten by slugs or snails grrrrrrrrrr

OK, think I'll stick with clematis then, easily persuaded. image

Also had a quick look at pergolas and gosh they're expensive! But if I'm having clematis I can go smaller and just have an arch. Seen one half price in Argos called Windermere £50. May get a couple of cheap wire ones to make more of a pathway but for now will stick with just this one.

Right - clematis! Spoilt for choice. Should I mix colours and flowering times? Gonna need some help here I think.

3 arches on their way from argos image 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

Try the large flowered clematis, you'll get two shows of flowers and they can look quite spectacular, just right for arches, or through a climbing rose, lovely display.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,108

Lead Farmer posted a photo of his clematis Dr. Ruppel on his arch. Looked fabulous. I had to buy one!

• DaintinessDaintiness Posts: 949

I have a thornless rose - Mortimer Sackler ( terrible name, lovely rose) and a clematis - The President on my arch. The rose is no bother I just tie it in and prune lightly in early spring - no thorns. there are quite a few available. The clematis also gets cut down in early spring and is covered with blooms all summer.

http://www.davidaustinroses.com/english/Advanced.asp?PageId=2026

Had a look at all of those and they are lovely! Thank you.