Forum home Talkback

gardeners world presenters

Hello my name is Kevin dale I'm forty seven for thirty years if been an organic gardener growing flowers vegetables herbs and fruit my favourite gardeners are Monty don Geoff Hamilton Chris beardshaw bob flowerdew carol Klein and alys fowler my garden website is quint.simple site.com  my email address is [email protected] and I want to garden fulltime and be a garden writer thank you you're sincerely Kevin dale 

• my gardening 'dream team' would be Alan T (host) Bob Flowerdrew (organic) Bunny Guinness (garden design) Pippa Greenwood (pest and problems) Terry Walton (Allotments) Carol Klein (sheer enthusiasm) in an hour long programme

• StevedaylillyStevedaylilly Posts: 1,087

Alan T  style of gardening is main stream but there is no doubting that he was a good leader on GW

I have not seen Chris Beardshaw presenting on tv for a long time. Always  found him an underated presenter.

Monty Don as grown on me and is an all rounder

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,207

Steve - Chris Beardshaw presents Beechgrove now - joined last year and is back this year at start of Aprilimage

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine

Chicky -  thanks for the info 

Does anybody know why there are not many garden programmes on tv

It's strange really when you consider how popular gardening is in this country

I , for one would like to see more gardening on tv , but more basic gardening as opposed to garden makeovers

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,380

I'm going to nail my colours to the mast.I think Monty  Don is a complete charlatan. With this Russian gulag bring and buy sale blue suit and braces combo, he's the most affected presenter ever on GW

Devon.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,380

he's a rank amatuer and god alone knows how he ever came to present GW. Alan trained and eventually taught at Kew. Geoff Hamilton worked his way throughout his entire career to present GW. MD is a failed jeweller with friends in high places.

Devon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

As a professional gardener and designer a lot of my clients have the hardscape carried out but have no real idea on what plants to place in to the design

It does't seem strange but the major reason not getting involved in plant selection is that gardening is a science they find hard to comprehend as it still has a tired image on tv. This is possibly why tv does have trendy people trying to change the face of gardening 

The essence of good gardening is having a lot of experience in the horticultural world, something a lot of these presenters lack IMOIMO