Simple question alert!

TootlesTootles Posts: 1,470

Hi folks, I purchased what I thought was a raspberry plant......never grown them before so please forgive this question, but from the picture below, is this a single plant or is it three plants / canes? Do I plant it in the ground as one, or split it into three? Thanks in advance!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,698

That's one plant with three canes (stems) - plant as one plant image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,470

Ah, thanks Dove. So will it develop more canes over the years? Do you know if it will produce fruit in its first year in the ground? 

• Anyone got any advice on what kind of feed to put on veg cos I'm new to this game 

Tootles - those are Polka if my old glasses are working correctly.  I planted some last spring and was picking raspberries from August to November!!!  

Plant them, cut them down to just above ground level and stand well back!  They'll send up new fruit-bearing canes shortly.  The ones I planted last year are now sending up new canes and making a bid to take over the fruit patch!!!  

And they are a lovely raspberry.  We froze three boxes and ate them at Christmas as well as having them for meals throughout the autumn image

Steven, I use Fish Blood & Bone, and occasional scatterings of proprietary Chicken Manure pellets on my veg patch - I get them when the GC is doing a BOGOF which they seem to do about now each year. 

I also add well-rotted farmyard manure and/or homemade garden compost in the autumn or early spring. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Thanks dovefromabove I have some of that blood fish and bone do I just sprinkle that on the soil where the veg is or do I dig it in first 

You can either sprinkle it on where you're going to plant and then rake the soil over, or you can plant and then scatter some around and water it in.  Does your pack have instructions etc?

• Yes it does just had a look at it thank for your help image

• Bex2012Bex2012 Posts: 45

Sorry to hijack, but as someone who LOVES raspberry jam, can canes be grown in a pot?

I've not done it but it can be done - take a look here  http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Fruit-A-to-Z/Raspberries