Forum home Garden design

Small garden idea

2»

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,811

I thought your photo was taken from the house  Mike - facing NE-  and  I thought the bed was slightly more south west/west as it didn't look like it was  at right angles to the house. Also because you're growing lavender, I reckoned you had a reasonable amount of sun so my suggestions still stand! image

Edd - I just use a compass normally! imageimage

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Cheers Edd, I'm no good at taking photos either, I was stood on an angle when I took that image I am not that up on veg, I see enough of it in the kitchen I work in image I will try some organic compost as you recommend, can I say it's amazingly pleasing how many people are still willing to help

Mike
  • Btw Kevin Dale nice one, as a matter of fact I do actually live in a cottage built 1897, I will look in to primulas and foxglove

Mike
  • Thanks for sharing very beautiful idea, for making your garden more attractive you can use Garden mirrors just behind small plants it will look perfect and new look to your garden. And in start from small plants as this help to make soil more productive. 

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..if that was my little plot I would keep things simple and use just 3 plants, [plus bulbs] probably at a cost of about 20-25 pounds [extra for bulbs]... I would plant Pyracantha 'Soleil d'or' [Golden Sun] at the back by the fence.. a single specimen in the middle of that fence line..which would need to be supported against the fence [using nails/string] and the lateral shoots trained sideways along the fence panels...

Choisya ternata - Mexican Orange Blossom, I would plant next to the decking, digging a hole mid way between the fence and the grass... but next to the decking..

in the front right behind the black bird feeder pole, I would plant a herbaceous perennial called Geranium 'Rozanne'... a single plant of this, from it's 2nd year will spread upwards 2 or 3 foot and outwards 4 foot or so - covering quite an area... it flowers June-Oct..

..It does not matter too much here which way your area is facing... as there are no overhanging trees...and although the Pyracantha has many thorns, it shouldn't get in the way back there...

the Pyracantha has white flowers and bright yellow berries... the Choisya has white scented blossom throughout summer and will form a big rounded shrub... the Geranium very large sparkling blue flowers...   I would also underplant this Geranium, which is quite late getting into growth, with early bulbs... Narcissus 'February Gold' a small yellow trumpet daffodil...  various Crocus... and possibly try Tulip 'Red Riding Hood'  which tolerates semi shade... all of these should give glorious colour Feb-Apr after which the Geranium gets going...

...just an idea for you to ponder..

• Thanks Salinoimage