Are Heliotrope hardy

Can anyone tell me whether Heliotrope are a hardy plant or a bedding plant.  I live in Suffolk and have a fairly sheltered garden.  Any advice would be helpful. 

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,014

I would say Heliotrope are a tender perennial - they can be overwintered somwhere frost free and cuttings usually root well

Pam x

• Thank you Lily

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

I thought that mine would be OK in a sheltered spot by the back door in my mild area of the Sussex seaside but it wasn't. RIP

• pinapusspinapuss Posts: 2

Can you take cuttings?

• Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

Yes I've taken several cuttings from Helliotrope Marine and overwintered them indoors .  Tried fleecing them one year but no luck .

• pinapusspinapuss Posts: 2

Thank you image

• Pennine PetalPennine Petal Posts: 1,541
    Just got my RHS magazine, says to take semi-ripe heliotrope cuttings in August.
  • Old Thread, arise and come forth! image I've just discovered Heliotrope marine and if chatsworth smells better than this, I need it urgently!

So Verdun, and others, please advise: where can I get the chatsworth variety?

• **Hallelujah!!** image BLESS you Verdun!!! Oh and you are in Cornwall! I LOVE Cornwall! Last year, we rented a cottage in Penti Dowran and travelled all over- the climate is just sublime! This was in May.... I had to go back again later in the year to Truro. I took my best friend to the Minack open-air theatre to see King Lear....Verdun, I cannot begin to describe that magical sunset and how ethereal the whole experience was!

We digress however- now to call Homestead plants! image Thanks again.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,692

I only came fifth...image

But my jokes are of a higher quality than Verdun's...image

Good luck with it Anomander. Heliotrope isn't reliably hardy up here which is a a pity. Something I've always rather fancied  image

I could 'grow them in containers and bring them out the greenhouse....'

if I had one...and could be bothered Verd...  image

oh you're very slow...too much ice cream and doughnuts....image

• Ah, you two do make me chuckle ? I'm out of luck with both garden centres, Verdun. Both are sold out for 2016 so I shall commence next year. Alternatively, I could just try to get some Chatsworth seeds and sow my way to success.

I do have a small greenhouse so I will try to overwinter the existing 2 Marine plants- we came back from a weekend away last night and went into the back garden to do some watering and just those two little plants made SUCH a fragrant impression! ? So I'm in love... ?

And yes, I do adore Cornwall Verdun! Fairygirl, whereabouts are you located? Just so I can pay due homage- as an advance-deposit, I'm sure it's simply wonderful! ??

Slightly further north Anomander - west central Scotland. Lots of rain and not too much warm sun  image

and yes - it's so wonderful, Verdun's thinking of moving up here to enjoy our beautiful scenery. He's got to bring extra clothes though  image

I expect you can get some online too. There are lots of good suppliers who might have a few plants left. We have a thread here for all the places we recommend - it's called The Good Guys . Verd started it a while back  image