Forum home Problem solving

buddjlea buzz

hi everyone, i have taken cuttings of my buddjlea buzz, i have them on my window sill in the kitchen, what i need to know is, do i need to water them, and also, do i need to keep them indoors,

• lynne24lynne24 Posts: 121

hi christopher, thanks for advise,yes they are long flowering, and i had butterflies i have never had before, i got them from TM they are supposed to be small enough for large pots, but i think they will be better in the garden so i will move them next spring, the cuttings are for my family, thanks again

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,269

Don't wish to disagree image, but I wouldn't keep buddliea cuttings indoors -  I think that outside in a sheltered spot or a coldframe would be better.  Keeping them indoors they'll put on lots of soft etiolated growth which will suffer when they are planted out. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Gracie5Gracie5 Posts: 125

I haven't taken any cuttings of my Buddleja buzz but I would treat them as any other Buddleja and take hardwood cuttings and place them outside.  I normally just place the cuttings around the side of a container that already has a plant growing. Leave alone until Spring when the cuttings should have taken.  I have three Buddleja buzz that are still in flower and the perfect size for a small garden, they have been so successful at attracting butterflies and other insects.  In fact I will go outside right now and take some cuttings and will look forward to seeing how they get on, next Spring image

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Bit of a difference of opinion here so will just throw my hat into the ring-gardening is not an exact science after all

If they are well rooted then a cold greenhouse or cold frame is a preferred option to keeping them in the warm indoors

• Gracie5Gracie5 Posts: 125
    Christopher2 wrote (see)
    Some people can pull off a piece of plant, stick it in the ground and root it without any apparent "skill" or knowledge!

Which is how a lot of buddleja cuttings are treated and with success image 

• lynne24lynne24 Posts: 121

hi gracie, hope i have took the cutting right, i have cut just below the leaf node, they are about 6inchs long, and ihave left a few new leaves on them, i also put them on the side of the pot, does that sound right?