what decade is your garden?

2»

• I remember my dad fussing over his Blue Moon rose and only ever getting 3 blooms, tops, a year. He always grew sweet peas for my mum to cut. Gardening is seemingly coming full circle with our return to wildlife preservation. I do love how different everyones garden is though and each one reveals so much about the owners. I just make sure I plant extra bee stuff to make up for my next door neighbour and because he dumps it on the waste land next to my garden my son goes and salvages what he can and plants that up. I am slowly planting up the waste bit of land with his plants and my seeds lol. I understand it can be quite scarey to do something different to what you have always known.

• I am definitely not of the  "Groundforce" generation, not a square inch of decking in site. I get a peverse pleasure from being out of date and letting my garden come back into fashion. I never stopped growing Dahlias and now, after a period of relative loneliness, everyone is copying me!!

Apart from that my garden cannot easily be dated...I am old enough to have a bit of every decade. I also think that the contemporary look of many modern gardens, whilst nice to look at, would be so boring to live with...how on earth could you change something, dig up a part of it for a new bed, introduce something new etc. ?...it would lose the design integrity and look a mess, in no time at all. A hoidge podge of a garden is easy to evolve as you go.

• I so agree, WW. I think those contemporary gardens are utterly boring. They are for non-gardeners IMO. I think you hit the nail on the head regarding having a bit of every decade in your garden. Gardening is bound to be influenced by what is easily available to buy and that does change from decade to decade. Also, I'm influenced by what I see in gardening mags and that also changes with fashion. But over the years, I've learnt what works for me and generally, I stick with that - long-flowering herbaceous perennials and climbers, tough plants that don't need too much mollycoddling.

• The only garden gnome I was ever tempted by was one I saw in a shop window...used for advertising a brand of young mens' clothing...they were groovy little homicadal gnomes with Hannibal Lecter masks and a chainsaw..... mad...

I have been gardening since my sons grew up and left home...my inspiration was the beautiful Lost Gardens of Helligan but tbh you would never know that looking at our garden. One thing that probably dates my style to the early nineties is the tree fern, altho mine is in a large pot so that I can drag it into the Gh in the winter...after losing a couple left out despite wrapping.

Like Lilylouise (hello Pam X) I now grow nectar rich flowers for the bees....I belong to The Bumblebee Conservation Trust and grow a lot of the plants that they recommend. I'm not a fan of 'instant gardens' and like the fact that our garden has evolved gradually. I'm not a hguge fan of hanging baskets largely because we don't really have anywhere to hang one.

• Yes Yes 'Peabrain...lots more singles, fewer doubles for me. More sophisticated too.

• Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 30

I've looked after my garden for nearly 23 years.  When we first came here I was heavily influenced by Geoff Hamilton, who was doing his Cottage Gardens type series at the time.  I built a sort of parterre section and planted cottage style borders.  Then the kids came along and everything was given over to grass for playing football, paddling pools etc.  Now they are teenagers and rarely venture out of their bedrooms, even more rarely into the garden!  I've reclaimed the garden and have the added bonus of a bit more spare cash these days.  My first investment was a greenhouse, which I couldn't afford in 1990, and I've spent a lot of time putting paths and other structure in.  I have put in some raised beds but otherwise was drawn back to GH and his inspirational series, which I bought on DVD.  I'm now completing the garden I set out to create 23 years ago, with one or two 2010's twists. The "parterre" is just receiving a rebuild (snow permitting). So I'm firmly stuck in the 90's and quite happy to be there!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

i think grandma is right about contemporary gardens being for non gardeners. They are outdoor rooms and have nothing to do with the growing of plants. I don't have a problem with that but it's not for me.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

I don't think I have a decade. I reckon to keep it wild but add as many new species as I can.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Zoomer 44, I believe Chelsea Flower Show is allowing gnomes in for the first time. I don't have either decking or a 'water feature'. As regards fashion, I don't read any gardening magazines or colour supplements, I just buy what I like. I sometimes go to gardening shows where you can learn what is currently available, but often they are sadly too large for my little plot.

The human ideal of beauty changes from decade to decade, so clothes from the eighties look a bit naff now and I guess gardens and interiors do the same. But with a very few tweaks a garden can be made to look up to date - if you want it to.

So my current theme is to de-clutter, have fairly clean lines but with loads of plants spilling over those parameters.image

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

As I am starting from a blank canvas it could be said that it is in this decade.

Yes I am growing more fruit and veg than ever beore - never grown fruit at all, and only really tinkered with veg, that is very 'now'.

Plants, yes, I am encouraging wild life and bees, but I think I have done that before. I have a couple of water features, one is a fountain/bird bath, one is an old galvanised bath - this century I guess. 

Someone came last year when a lot of it was half way through the hard landscaping and described it as qwerky, Felt pleased with that, - now what decade would that be - that is just me, nowimage