Forum home Wildlife gardening

Butterfly sightings 2014

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Bump up image

• Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

I saw three butterflies that I've never seen before this weekend. Seems they are all coming out with the warmth. Pity I don't know the names, one was brown and speckly may have been a moth. One was large and bright yellow. This one when it opened it's wings was white with orange tops to its wings.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/JoelDeee/Garden%20plants%202/DSCF0140.jpg

Also one that looked black when flying but with red bits on landed on my fat belly whilst I was sunbathing.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,524

Lovely pic Jack - but not an expert so can't tell you what it is.  Saw a red admiral here yesterday - never noticed one in this garden before so i was v excitedimage.  Lots of peacocks and tortoiseshells And yellow ones too.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 10,415

Lots of peacocks and small tortoiseshells about this weekend - most I could count at one time (tricky when they're all over the shop) was 12 (mainly peacocks.)  Also a very large brimstone. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Hi jack, that's an orange tip.

The yellow ones are male Brimstones

Brown and speckly could have been a Speckled wood, I haven't seen one of those or an orange tip this year.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Brimstone today.  I once saw an orangetip at Guildford station in late February!

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Spotted a Peacock and a Tortoiseshell over the past few days, another butterfly flew past me in the garden, but it didnt stop so I could see what it was image

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Today I saw a Speckled Wood in my Garden then whilst having tea at the Garden Centre I saw a couple of Clouded Yellows.

Both butterflies I have never seen before so this was wonderful image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Now seen brimstones, small torties, peacocks and a small blue one which I don't think was really a Small Blue!

Saw this guy (or gal) a few weeks back - love seeing them - been seeing so many round where I work - loving it!