Forum home The potting shed

Gardeners World 2014 BBC2

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,683

It's repeated on Sunday at 9:15 for anyone who wants to watch it with sound.

I was definitely dismayed to find Nigel in the opening shot.    I love my own dogs to bits but don't expect them to offer anyone useful guidance about how to manage my garden.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Maybe you should look past Nigel in his very brief shots and look at the garden surrounding him instead
  • archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155
    obelixx wrote (see)

It's repeated on Sunday at 9:15 for anyone who wants to watch it with sound.

I was definitely dismayed to find Nigel in the opening shot.    I love my own dogs to bits but don't expect them to offer anyone useful guidance about how to manage my garden.

thanks missed it .image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,166

Pam, Nigel seems to have more close ups than the garden / plants!!

Devon.
  • BamboogieBamboogie Posts: 239

Love Nigel! More Nigel I say!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,683

I'm with Hostafan.  Too many shots of Nigel and also long unfocussed shots of Monty parading with his wheelbarrow.  30 minutes are too short to waste on anything except close-ups of plants and tasks and techniques with occasional general views of a border for the context of a plant.

Can't comment on the spoken content and advice yet as we had no sound but it's set to record tomorrow morning so I can catch up.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I was really frustrated at the missing sound. I was only really interested in the wet garden topic, as I am about to buy some bog plants for around my pond. The damn sound went off just as Monty started introducing that bit of the show and came back on 10 minutes later, just as the item concluded. Couldn't find the sub-title button on my remote - doh!

Beechgrove returns on 6th April on BBC2 (3rd April in Scotland). I am really looking forward to that.

Sorry - I like Nigel.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,166

To clarify, I have nothing against Nigel, or any other dog. But ,as we only have 30 mins of gardening on telly a week, I'd rather it was ALL focused on gardening and not Monty throwing balls / close ups of  Nigel or anything "non-gardening". 

I have to agree with obelixx about the wheelbarrow shots, lazy production to have the same thing every single week.

Devon.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

It is always a great wonder why those folk in 'telly land' don't make more gardening progs. I'd love to follow an allotment, or learn more about cuttings, or how garden centres work, or how to make better compost.....the topics are endless. It's not exactly a high-budget topic either, and the advertising revenue from suppliers (if not on bbc) would be huge. Missing a trick I reckon. I once toyed with the idea of creating a dating / friendship / companion website for single gardening folk looking for friends or a relationship... I wonder if one exists - not that I want to get rid of my other half of course!

• I agree with Edd!  I think the problem with lots of TV programmes these days is that the people who produce/organise them aren't in any way personally involved with the subject they deal with.  This is bound to result in the sort of arty-farty shots which we see in lots of programmes, where what we really want to see are clear and steady close-up shots of what the presenter is actually doing.  It's so easy to blame whoever "fronts" these programmes - they probably have no real  "say" in what is eventually transmitted. 

A few years ago I was present when one of those "property programmes" was being made, and it was interesting to see what finally ended up on my TV screen!  At least one of the shots was repeated four times...........  I'm sure the car involved didn't actually go down that particular bit of lane as often as that!