Forum home Wildlife gardening

think of the blackbirds Monty !

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Well, this morning we noticed and watched with delight as the pair of ring neck doves decided to build a  nest in our Laurel. It's a very large Laurel and it was lovely watching the male collect scraps and twigs from my huge pile of dead Pampas grass and bring them to the female who was busy arranging the nest. The male bird was very tame, didn't mind sharing the garden with me at all, unfortunately the male black bird took great offence and chased the male dove all about the garden. Since then, there's been no sign of either pair, I do hop they can all get alone.image

• Thanks for the tip Terri. 

• PenylanSuePenylanSue Posts: 11

Thanks for the picture Terri.  I will go out and check mine for berries now.  They do look like typical honeysuckle succulent berries but I'm sure I've never had any on mine.  So mine could be Lonicer purpusii maybe.  Don't know.

Incidentally as you all like birds on this thread, we were visited at the weekend by a male pied flycatcher for the very first time in the 8 years that we've lived here.  He may have taken up residence in a a spare box as I've seen him go in a few times. (Incidentally we live about 6 miles from Lake Vyrnwy which gets them every year.  Looks as though one has ventured over the hill!) 

I have nesting bluetits in one box and I fastened some very spiky stems of Rubus cockburnianus on top and that has stopped the female kitten in her tracks.

Sue

• WOW ! had to look that one up in the book ! what a beautiful bird. You must be doing everything right ! I have 4 blue tit boxes all with tenants. One has fledged, the others going strong. The only box not occupied for the second year running is the one with the camera. I think they are trying to tell me something ! 

• lynne24lynne24 Posts: 121

hi everyone, im loving reading this thread, i put up a nestbox in feb, but its not been used, i did have a couple of blue tits investigate, but none have moved in, also in the winter when all the leaves on my virginia creeper fell, i found a lovely blackbirds nest, does anyone know if it will be used again, the creeper is just started growing back over it.

• Maybe a bit late now but if it was successful last year they may use it again. My 2 baby blackbirds have left the nest now and dad is feeding them on the ground. They are all grown up and as big as he is. Mums back on the nest for a second brood bless her! A handful of fat sprinkles on the ground will go down a treat or old grapes split open. Watch your lovely dog he will love them too & will put on the pounds. When my dog sneaks off I know where she is !!! If the blackbirds dont use it another bird may, possibly a hedge sparrow or a robin. Happy bird watching.

ooh im so jealous terri ha ha, the sad thing for me is i have an site by me, it was a convent, its well gone but the site is overgrown, with hawthorn, laurel, cherry trees to name just a few, there ar so many birds in there, andi get a lot of them in my garden, we have just found out they are going to bulilt 2 blocks of 8 flats there so we will lose all the birds, when they clear everthing away, i got everyone to sign a petition and sent it to the council the housing trust and the builder, but i dont think we have much chance of keeping any of the tree, sorry to rant on, ha ha but i am so upset about the birds, there is no established trees apart from them because our houses have only been up 13 yrs

• WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Just one fledgling in our resident BB nest, its a fat one

and Daddy has been feeding it on my fence all afternoonimage

what a lovely pic!

• Bear2Bear2 Posts: 4

Can anyone suggest a type of Honeysuckle for a shaded corner of the garden up against a shed, I don't want anything that will be too rampent but will attract bees to pollunate the veg boxes and the butterflies that we seem to be short off at the moment. It will have to be grown in a trough as the bottom of the garden is  concreated.

If not honeysuckle other suggestions for fragrance and the above would be appreciated.

Thanks