Forum home Plants

How can I get my geraniums to grow this year?

Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

Last year, I completely cleared and dug over a flowerbed, dug on loads of manure and then started planting.  Everything grew really well except the geraniums ! Soil is sandy, partial shade. At previous properties I've not had a problem.  I fed them with geranium feed that they got sent with, but thy just never really grew. 

We had lots of ants in the flowerbed would this have affected them ?  

The varieties I planted were Rosanne (although these ones have been flooded on quite a few occasions over the winter), Alba, Wargrave pink.  

I was hoping to add in a load more geraniums this year into another bed but don't want to waste money, if something i dont know about as to why they never grew. 

Any ideas, am totally stumped, I thought they grew anywhere and were easy ?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

I'd agree with Verdun. Sounds a likely explanation.

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,601

I think Verdun is probably right about growing very small plants on in pots to get them started. Mine don't mind wet soil and the stronger varieties seed themselves all over the place. They do seem to prefer slightly alkaline soil.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,869

Good morning Mike, I agree with your first comment, don't believe all you read and hearimage

Not so sure about sticking to the basics. I prefer experiment and find out all you can.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,265

I think that we need a mixture of basic scientific knowledge and our own experience - scientists carry out their research under controlled conditions -  we endure and labour on under the vagaries of climate, soil and predation. 

Of course we should know the basics of what scientists tell us - and then use our ongoing experience to temper that information to particular conditiions - after all, sound observation and empirical evidence is what good science is based on.

The whole point of this forum is to share our experience with others - otherwise we could just point enquirers at a good book. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

thank you, they were bought as decent sized plants from Crocus, not plug size, so I would have expected them to have done better.  Being sandy soil, last summer it was on the dry side, I watered every couple of days, but they were never drenched in the process.  The Rozanne has been in pretty wet soil this winter unforunately, so we'll see if they recover, but the others in wet soil as every other garden in the area.  As for the others I will just leave them in peace and not give them any extra tlc and see how they get.  thanks for advice. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,265

They may well have just been getting their roots well established in their first year in your garden image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• everoseveros Posts: 55

Are we talking about hardy geraniums or pelagoniums? I grow both in my garden & they all do well.  My soil is slightly alkaline (camellias do well) but fairly clayey.  I don't know if this any help.