Buying a second hand greenhouse

Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Hi everyone - well I can report that the greenhouse is safely here at Bee Towers.  Many thanks to everyone who helped me to prepare for dismantling a greenhouse.  I took all the stuff, didn't need all of it, but might have done, so good that it was there.  At the last minute, I threw a claw hammer in the box.  Didn't really know why, but I have noticed that every job I ever seem to do ends up with me needing a hammer.  So I took one.

The glass clips were pretty easy and the glass came away okay - I was tense because I find that kind of thing scary, but it was fine really.  While I was doing the glass, the lady who sold me the greenhouse started undoing the structure.  I wished I had labelled the structure instead of the glass, which largely turned out to be of uniform size.  I was going slowly, but she was faster than me, and because she was having the ground levelled the next day, needed to get on.  If we had gone at my pace it would have been a two day job.  So am a bit worried about remembering what goes where, but am quite good at that sort of thing, and did take pictures, so hopefully it will be okay.  The nuts and bolts were all in good condition, and we have saved as many bits as we can - can probably get extras for any losses.

The killer came with the base.  It was held down by the most enormous tent pegs I have ever seen - great rusting iron things over a foot long, and buried by mud and in one area, some amateur concreting.  Fortunately, my claw hammer got the pegs up slightly, and the owner's crowbar did the rest.  Therefore, I would recommend in addition to the shopping list of stuff suggested by forum members, a hammer and a crowbar! 

It took all afternoon.  The long sections of the base (10 foot) only just got into the Zafira with all the seats down and some packing material protecting the windscreen.  It was a matter of millimeters.  And I could only transport one at once - thank goodness the greenhouse was local. 

I haven't unpacked the car - will do the school run in the other one tomorrow morning.  Have treated myself to some white wine in a very large glass this evening. 

I won't show pictures of the greenhouse in situ as I didn't ask the seller's permission, but here, for what it's worth, is the site (am in process of clearing it) and the place behind the shed that I am clearing it to. 

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Glad it went well busy bee image

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,626

Great, i don't think it be long until its up and running -earning its keep image. Grass needs Cutting image 

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Yes Perki it does!  Normally doesn't need doing until April, but this winter it has grown a fair old bit.  Am just waiting for it to dry out as we got a proper dousing the night before last, and then yesterday morning, while the BBC weather website showed us a full sun icon, it was raining again.  image  Should be drier by the end of the week and will give it a go on a high setting.  If I can tear myself away from the greenhouse....!

Yes, but not by me - by my cousin's very clever and generous boyfriend!!  Although I have toshed up some honey supers and frames and excluders and done the painting!!  Bee-keeping is expensive to start up, so any money that can be saved should bee!

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Glad you got it home safely Bee! I look forward to seeing photographs of it going up.

We're taking ours down soon and replacing it with a similar one (I'm not allowed both any more!) So I will have to make a note of the tools suggested to recommend them to the buyer!

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Well done Bee. Hope you get it erected safely. image

Clarington, the kit was:

Masking tape, stickers and pen to mark up, spanners (the lady who sold it to me used a ratchet thing which was better tbh), screwdrivers, gloves, WD40, dust sheets/foam wrap/bubble wrap/sticky pads - anything to protect the glass, glasses to protect eyes, jars or pots for screws and clips, Stanley knife, plasters, scissors, hammer and crowbar. 

You could just copy and paste it from here for them image B

Thankfully not Edd!  But if I hadn't taken them, they would have been!!

• Peat BPeat B Posts: 441
    'W' clips, y'can't have enuff of 'em ! If I had only doubled up on the number of 'em, then I would save about ??20 pa in replacing glass panes ! I forgot in my first 'list' to put in a couple of boxes of plasters, children's plastic balls for putting over the ends of bamboo canes. A well read copy of 50 Sheds of Grey, Self Sufficiency by John Seymour, a wind up gramophone with the Messiah, Marriage of Figaro, Beethoven's Symphonies, all of 'em. A gradually well stocked wine rack of home brewed and nicely aged wines from the garden. Binocular, for observing the birds, a flask for tea and unexpected visitors, perhaps a small BBQ for impulse carbonisation of otherwise good food, a battery charger for the model helicopter, and sun tan lotion, for dreaming away the rainfall.
  • Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800
    Peat, the children's balls on bamboo canes, what does that do? I noticed last year while walking the dogs that a man who grows loads of tomatoes had a tennis ball on a cane in his GH but never found out why?? image