Forum home Talkback

Vertical gardening ideas

lisealsliseals Posts: 74

Hi, have any of you tried vertical gardening? If so I would be grateful for any hints and tips from plants to different ideas of what you used to grow them in, plants or veggies.. I’m thinking of giving it a go on a shed wall and a fence, unfortunately I lack in joinery skills but willing to give basic things a go as long as it doesn’t involve a lot of cash

Many thanks

• lisealsliseals Posts: 74

You have certainly given me food for thought edd.. I have got so many ideas now, I think I might have to toy this one over in my head for a while image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I have long wanted to do a sedum/green roof. I may be changing my central heating from oil to cylinders of gas later in the year. Which could give me the chance to do a little planted roof as the cylinders have to be surrounded by some sort of metal housing to avoid setting fire to the fence. This could support the roof. image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,119

I intend doing this here. I want to grow 'downwards' as it will take a while for climbers and shrubs to cover all the bare wood. I hope I'll get some of it done this summer - last year  I built raised beds  and did lots of other things - so, now that I've got most of the beds planted up, and while the new extension is getting built,  I might get time to do troughs for fences! I've already bought small ivies and other bits and pieces and know how I'm doing the construction of the boxes.  I will do pix as I go along image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I would  love to do a sedum roof but I think I would have to get my shed roof strengthened first, if you do give it a go artjak  please let us know how you get on

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

FG, am keen to see pics.

Liseals, I am thinking a zinc base, or galvanised whatever. Then possibly sphagnum moss/compost? Will have to do some research. image

I had to google what sphagnum was image as you will have gathered I am new to all of this.. but I am loving it.. I have got so much to learn

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Edd - whats the tallest you could get from a living wall? Keeping to a minimum price, preferably home made and not taking too much space at the bottom. Any other advice welcome. had trouble searching your suggestions above, but only on phone for now will try tomorrow. thanks.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,204

Our local M&S has a wonderful living wall http://twitpic.com/b4xq8p 

and down in Suffolk Adnams brewery have this wonderful sedum roof on their distribution centre http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/content/articles/2006/10/26/adnams_distribution_centre_feature.shtml I drive past it when I visit my parents, and it looks fantastic, the range of colours it has developed are wonderful. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951

They look great Edd and Dove. Would need to get OH onboard and that's never easy in the garden!image