Forum home Fruit & veg

Blue Lake Pencil Beans

2»

• Shrinking VioletShrinking Violet Posts: 1,123

A quick update on my climbing French beans:  very poor germination - 3 out of 24.  I've planted some more, and if they don't germinate either, I'll try planting directly into the soil.  But I'm wondering whether or not I had a poor batch of seeds in the first place, so have bought some more:  Cobra, which I have had in the past without problems.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Sowed some direct into the soil last weekend-today Thursday-some are appearing image-in 4 days!!

Huh!  Those seeds heard me typing about buying Cobra - 'cos I now have about 20 that have germinated!  Result!

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Congratsimage

It is all about the timing-I feel very smugimage

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    slightly off topic but bean related - my so called dwarf French beans which have been outside for about 6 weeks look spookily like they're climbers. Tempted to nip out top and try and bonsai them. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Can't you quickly build a wigwam/A-frame over them figrat?  I think that's what I'd be tempted to do.  If they are climbing beans - you'll get the crop,  If you have tried to thwart them in their desire to grow upwards, I'm not sure you'd get much of a harvest.  And if they were truly dwarf all along, all you'd have to do is to remove whatever structure you've erected. 

I could do, but as I mix my veg and ornamentals in the borders, might be a bit awkward as they're at the front! Am thinking I might try those metal spirals - I grew some runners up them last year.

Oh, yes!  Those spiral look so good - real architectural additions to a border.  If you do it - will you post a picture?

OK!