Forum home The potting shed

Lidl

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,189

The past couple of years I've found compost variable and bordering on very poor from a number of different places ranging from stores to GC's, containing nails, plastic and bits of garden fences.

If there isn't a bag of compost already split, when buying bigger bags I ask to split the bag to check the contents. Me thinks, if the shop has confidence in their products, they should be happy to let you see what's inside. Only ever done it with the intention of buying at least 3 bags though and take my chances with grow bags, but now initially just buy one, if it's good quality go back and buy more.    

Murphy's seems to be consistantly good.    

• Must admit I've not had a problem, the meat is the same supplier as M&S
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • donutsmrsdonutsmrs Posts: 475

I have used their compost and I didn't like very much, but their seeds are brilliant, I have had any fail at all. I will be going to Lidl on Thursday, they have got some lovely Geraniums on offer. I've had their plants before and they are very good.

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

I've done seeds in Wickes compost this year and they have germinated including poppy and those seeds are tiny.  It doesn't have any twigs or big bits of bark in like some of the others I've tried and is better value. image

• cotty1000cotty1000 Posts: 293

Check out the bulbs on offer,two packs for £4. I got a few packs of nerine.

These would normally cost a lot more else where. Go on treat yourself.

Bargain much cheapness! image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I was at Asda this a.m. no prices on all their various sacks of compost, bark etc. Went inside the shop; no staff except security; told them no prices on sacks; Oh we'll sort that out for you; 30 mins later, left shop; no prices on sacks. How do they expect to sell stuff with no prices?

Often when I go into a large supermarket and find this type of situation, I end up acting as a temporary manager. Today, I've god a gold id by dose and I don't feel like being id charge.image

• I sowed some Rudbeckia Cleome and Ice Plant seeds in Aldi seed & potting compost Saturday and they are sprouting already image
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Wow, Pam, that is fastimage