Forum home The potting shed

Anyone have a garden blackbird?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

Maybe she makes him sleep in a separate nest if he doesn't Viv! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Brenda, our local blackbird imitates the sound of the door bell on the little local Post office, so the Sub Post Master has to constantly run through from the back to see if there is a customer. When i walk round to the P.O., the blackbird wolf whistles at meimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Vivdev, join in any time, welcomeimage

• love these blackbird stories!!

mine have been suspisciously quiet and non present for the last few days.... either they have discovered better pickings elsewhere, or ill be hearing the pitter patter of little wings soon?

• where have my blackbirds gone? I havent seen Mrs since last week, and Mr has only made a few fleeting appearances for sultanas... they dont seem to be using the nest that they have been living in all winter... i miss them image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 9,777

Hi Loganberry, blackbirds build a new nest each time they raise a brood, so they will be about somewhere and I'm sure they know where the good pickings are when it comes to feeding the babies, so they'll be back visiting you. image

http://www.rspb.org.uk/groups/ashplorers/news/2010/2/

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,535

Started giving them raisins like Loganberry suggested and they love them but they are not eating the half apples like they did last year

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • Mine aren't fussed on apples either. They go mad for chopped grapes tho!!

They seem to be back again, going in and out of their usual bush!
  • I fear there has been a tragedy....

My blackbirds had eggs....last week i noticed a giant magpie lurking around their bush, and  chased him away many times (hose included)... but one evening there was a terrible commotion and he appeared from their bush. They have moved out, and although the male has popped by once or twice for raisins.. they have all but disapeared...... are they likely to ever return? I read a lot that they only use each nest once, but they have been living in that bush for the entire year i have lived in this house....

• MoobloonMoobloon Posts: 24

We have a friendly visiting blackbird - his name is Tony! Not much of a DJ - just like his near namesake!

We also have Williams (the robin), Colin and Colleen (the collared doves) and Harrelson (Wood(y) pigeon).

Finally, any of the cyanistes family that arrive are called politicians - I will leave you to work that one out!