Forum home The potting shed

Anyone have a garden blackbird?

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

The woodpecker is back, I can hear him but haven't seen him yet though.  He keeps making the dog bark as she obviously thinks someone is tapping on the fence or something (dippy hound!) image

We had a problem with rats a few years ago and had to stop feeding the birds which was awful.  We back onto fields so mice etc. are to be expected.  But our 'delightful' neighbour decided to start leaving chicken carcasses at the bottom of our dividing hedge, along with other bits of raw and cooked food.....cue rats!!  Needless to say I wasn't amused and reported him to his landlord!! He has now moved and I have all my lovely feeders out again, I've not seen any mice as I think the hounds tend to keep them away but I have seen a cheeky squirrel a few times image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Luckily we weren't infested, the most I saw at one time was 3 and they didn't nest anywhere in our garden, thankfully!!  I think they are too scared of the hounds to want to stay, they just kept eating the fat balls then running off!! One night Ollie sat at the bottom of the tree for ages and Mr rat couldn't get down, every time he moved Ollie howled at him, it was quite funny image

• ok. it seems that I am in need of non mouse friendly blackbird feeding ideas. the last 3 days in a row, ive seen a mouse running around my garden at midday looking for pickings. i thought i was being smart bringing the feeder in at night. My back garden is small so no matter how far away i position the feeder, they are always going to be close to the house. Having had a ridiculous mouse infestation at our old house due to work on an empty house in the row, i dont think i could face another. I REALLY dont want to stop feeding wee blackie and his mates image

• weird. no idea why that appeared again!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

Is your mouse a member of the SAS LoganB? Perhaps he's part of a new super dooper task force image

They're real opportunists aren't they? You'll need to have a feeder hanging from a rope attached to the roof or something to see if you can outwit him  image

Perhaps if you use the wheelie bin but put it right in the middle of the garden that might do the trick - no ledge to jump on and off!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• We have had blackbirds nest every year in our leylandii. The male follows me around the garden and often miraculously turns up when ever I happen to have bird food around my person!

The blighter also wakes us up every morning at 5.30am sharp, singing his heart out on the front garden lilac tree. He sounds like he is actually on our window ledge (inside in fact), he is so loud.

I love him to death of course!!

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,535

last season my two black birds liked apples cut in two and thjey would peck out all the flesh and leave the skin

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.
  • VivdevVivdev Posts: 6

I Hope you don't mind me joining in but my Mrs blackbird waits in attendance whilst Mr Blackbird has his daily bath in the birdbath. If he gets out before she feels he has "done enough" she shouts at him and bullies him into getting back in for a further dip. Very funny really ..  No doubt who wears the trouser in that nest  Ha ha ha!   image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

Vivdev - that made me laugh. Perhaps she's making sure he washes properly under his wings...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• VivdevVivdev Posts: 6

They've been living together in our garden now for a good couple of years so something is working for them!

They raised 2 broods / possibly 3, last year so maybe the personal hygiene pays off.