Forum home The potting shed

Anyone have a garden blackbird?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

Maybe Mrs B's been playing away from home so he's getting some Dutch courage to confront the other 'man' lisa! image

Have I taken that too far....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• We have quite a lot of birds visit us and nest in our hedges on all four sides of our garden, Sparrows and one Blackbird, our little Robin, Chaffinches etc., but sadly our neighbour cut down the one tree in his garden, which overlooked our back garden where all the birds used to sit...not sure where they will go but quite cross with himimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Lisa, FG, image I love the idea of a tipsy blackbird trying to woo his mate.

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

he'll get nowhere when he's so liary. Not a happy drunk.....

• I've got 'Spot'. He has one light feather on his chest like a badge. Poor chap has a damaged beak and is unable to close it. He manages to pick up food by turning his head sideways. I feed him every day as I think he must struggle to survive otherwise. He cannot poke his beak into the soil to get worms as it won't close, so he'd just get a beakful of soil. Poor chap. Hope I can keep him well fed. he loves meal worms.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Saw my first Mistle Thrush this morning, was very excitedimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

ddoris - that sounds quite like 'squinty' that we had in our garden. His beak didn't close very well either. He always seemed to be on his own. I always liked to make sure there was enough food available for him as I think he was bullied by other birds quite a bit.

What are we like ...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Manic Slughunter - are you able to plant a tree in your garden to replace the one your neighbour chopped down?

• How much is too much when it comes to feeding them? Mine will it a seemingly endless amount of raisins and grapes!
  • lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

I don't think you can overfeed them, they use an enormous amount of energy through flight and general foraging, wild animals will only take the amount of energy in, that they need, that's why we don't see overweight birds.