Forum home The potting shed

Anyone have a garden blackbird?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,705

We have 12 blackbirds regularly waiting for the breakfast feed. They stamp about in the garden when I draw the bedroom curtains. While the kettle is boiling, I put feed out and they sit in the magnolia. As soon as my back is turned, they are down on the lawn feeding.

We had a bumper crop of apples this year, and I have only just got through them all, the blackbirds were getting through 3 or 4 apples a day.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

Gmaiden - I now have a picture in my head of a massive pigeon with a soggy bottom...image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SFordSFord Posts: 224

I too have a male and two female blackbirds who often sit on the fence and 'shout' at me if I am late putting their food out.

Had a juvinile male around for a couple of year who had a white patch on his chest and a very short tail - we called him 'Dot'.

After 'trimming' a very overgrown dog last weekend I will be putting the hair clippings in one of my trees, near the feeders so the birds have lovely soft linings for their nests!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,148

And isn't their glorious song worth every penny we spend feeding them image

SFord -  my youngest daughter was very embarrassed when I said I was going to take all the hair from her hairbrush to put out for the birds!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Poor picture but one of my visitors today.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I love the songs 'my' blackbird sings, summer would not be the same without him.

• As a child, we had a lovely pair of golden retrievers... I remember finding an empty fallen nest once which was made so beautifully from the dogs hair! We now have a boxer... No more dog hair nests image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,578

Next door have a fluffy tortoiseshell cat - the bluetit nest we removed from our nest box last autumn was made almost totally of the cat's hair and little bits of moss. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• lisa masseylisa massey Posts: 252

I have a male living in the orchard, he looks like somethings had a go at him, only one tail feather left. He's gorging himself on the rotting apples which may be a little fermented, he has a real attitude when he's been at the apples.