Forum home Fruit & veg

planting broad beans

2»

• I use the cell system in the Spring starting them in a slightly heated conservatory and get 100% germination also same with peas.However in October/November I sow Aquadulche Broad beans direct in my allotment (heavy wet Clay) and get approx 70% success over wintering. These then produce the earliest crops and the Spring sown ones, once planted, follow on.
  • woody3woody3 Posts: 11

I sowed Aquadulce Claaudia direct in November and had good results, they re in flower now, last week I sowed Bunyards Exhibition directly, but covered them with a cloche, as I read they rot if they get too wet, and with the weather as it is, I m pleased I did, I hope the cloche will keep mice off (or my cats will) and I have put slug pellets down, as the slugs are rampant now everywheres so wet. I was given a second water butt yesterday, and its full this morning,

• I always start mine off in home made paper pots and then plant the whole lot into the ground when the plants are about 4" high. I get good germination this way in a cold green house and there are no spaces in the beds when planted out.

• woody3woody3 Posts: 11
    Thats a good idea, recycling newspapers as pots is great too. I ve recycled all sorts of things to protect my vegetabled from my cat and birds.
  • chas12chas12 Posts: 1

as a young boy i am now much older an old gent told to soak beans and peas in parfinn oil or turps to stop rats and mice from eating them is this fact or fiction

charlie