Forum home Fruit & veg

Apples

Hi,

My 4 year old daughter has announced that she would like us to get an apple tree!  We are keen that she eats more fruit so want to oblige!  It would be nice to get a variety that is from Yorkshire, where we live. We have an allotment so pollination should be ok.

I have done an internet trawl and can only find Yorkshire Greening which is a cooker.  Does anyone know of a Yorkshire eater please?

Thanks

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,340

Apples are only indigenous to central asia, but I know what you mean.  There are lots of varieties that are traditionally grown in Yorkshire.  This is probably just what you are looking for:

http://www.northernfruitgroup.com/yorkshireapples.htm

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • MJA54MJA54 Posts: 13

Perfect! Thanks Bob.

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

nice one Bob youv just introduced a Yorkshireman to a Dogs Snout hope hes got a sense o uma, lots of these iv never even heard of, im surprised there isnt one called Pudding,only 2b eaten on Sunday  ava goodenimage

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,340

Heh heh - I noticed that one and quite like the idea of growing it myself.  It would be great fun to offer someone an apple and watch their reaction after biting into it and asking what variety it is! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.