Under-rated climber?

A tip rather than a question!

Although they aren't easy to come by (I was fortunate enough to obtain a legitimate cutting from one in a garden) wild honeysuckle is definitely worth growing, especially where vigorous growth would be a disadvantage.

I grow a couple up an (admittedly established) columnar cherry tree. The add colour and gorgeous scent by the front wall and, as mine is a tiny garden, optimises limited space - and adds interest to the tree after it has finished flowering. Its non-rampant nature doesn't put a strain on the branches of its host, even in windy conditions.

I  also grow one up a cotoneaster and another up a wooden post that suspends a bird feeder as well as on the more normal fence/trellis setting.

I seem to remember the late Geoff Hamilton once singing its praises on G World,  saying that its scent was as good as any cultivar's.

Just thought you might want to give it a try!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,458

This months RHS  magazine has a picture of a new honeysuckle called"mandarin"

I was really excited until I found that it had little or no scent. For me, the whole point of honeysuckle is the scent. I have  "Graham Thomas," which I believe he found in a hedgerow and then propagated. It is all yellow and has a long flowering season. Belgica and  Serotina are also well perfumed and will extend the season.

Although it can be rampant, it responds well to an annual hackback.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3