Companion flowering plants to plant among heathers

I would like to plant up some bare patches among my healthy heather plants any suggestions would be welcome.

Many thanks 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,669

I know that some people don't consider grasses to be 'flowering plants' but I think that some of them have beautiful flowers or inflorescences, and I think the movement of grasses in the wind would look beautiful and in keeping with heathers.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

The smaller varieties of the rhododendron family azaleas etc will love the acid conditions that erica thrive in. Pic the smaller ones they will go ok.

• Thanks to Dovefromabove and Dave Morgan will try both of your suggestions.

Verdun - thanks for your suggestion of small conifers which is just what I have in my other heather bed and I'm pleased with that result. With this bed I wanted a bit more colour on show.

Again thanks for taking the time to suggest and reply. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 14,672

I say this as a Scot: dig the heathers up and burn them. lol That's just my opinion. I hate the flippin things. Live and let live , each to his own. I'm so glad we're all different.

I started work in the garden centre industry in 1979 , and it was all, ground cover/ heather, dwarf conifer( I blame Adrian Bloom ). I've never got over it.

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,669

Verdun, have you seen this new video of Bressingham?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQOftrwZ2mM

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • BerkleyBerkley Posts: 331
    I have filled the outer edge of a circular bed with Winter-flowering heathers. They are now in their second year, but haven't flowered as well as last year. Is this anything to do with the excessive rain we've had here in Dorset?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,237

Those island beds and wonderful perennials at Bressingham were Alan Bloom's work. 

I should think the conifer/heather thing makes Adrian cringe now,  it was 30 or 40 years ago but it's what he's noted for