Nut free bird seed?

Hi, trying to find bird seed that doesn't contain any nuts or traces of nuts.  Starting a garden for the children I work with and one or two do have nut allergies.  I don't seem to be able to find anything.  I'm hoping that someone on this forum can help me out. Thank you

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 45,062

I find that sunflower hearts attract lots of different birds - would they be ok?

If you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. You won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.” 
  • Thank you for your responses. Had a look at the website, problem solvedimage  The nut free cookies will be fun for the children to make as well.

Thank you so much.

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,922

What about sunflower and niger seed that comes in its own pack? With gardening gloves issues to all children to try and avoid any potential contamination.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

I just feed sunflower hearts bought in a large sack from the local feed store and a big sack of niger seed bought on line. Since all the Starlings seemed to have vanished from the Fens over the last 3 years, the fat balls that i make with linseed or buy are never eaten.

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 751

Hey, it looks like a nut free thread too. image I use lard and seed, the starlings can't get enough. My neighbour puts out kibbled suet and steals all the birds. image

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 758

thanks for posting this, my girls are coeliac, so can't handle a lot of bird food that has any kind of wheat, rye oats in.  Have been trying to think about what we could do for them, that wont leave a load of mess in the garden. 

• Maybe try live or frozen/chilled mealworms most birds love them and you can at least guarantee it does not have any traces of nuts

http://www.livingwithbirds.com/birdfoods/live-foods/

http://www.haiths.com/bird-food/live-food/

Peanuts, I only use Sunflower and niger seed now. I got really tired of all the mess. I get no mess at all now. I can still make my lard cakes with them.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 24,510
    Jim Macd wrote (see)

Hey, it looks like a nut free thread too. image

No. I'm here Jimimage

image Yeah!