What the heck is this?

Would anyone be able to identify this thing I dug up recently?  It is quite hard but I can break off one of the round bits with some pressure.  Other than that they are all attached to each other.  Is it a rock?  Some sort of mutant potato?

http://i1276.photobucket.com/albums/y466/econaturalist/14497_10153770182310538_1748919674_n_zps3e99364f.jpg

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...their Desiree potatoes.. make lovely chips...  get the pan on...image

...no seriously, I don't know what they are.. so just bumping this up in case someone else does.... I think I might be tempted to gently tease one of those off, cut in half and see what it looks like...

• BiljeBilje Posts: 383

Might it be a crocosmia corm. I have the variety Lucifer...they make a new corm each year and you end up with a knotted chain of them. They are the devil to break up.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

I think Bilje could be right, have a look at this

http://www.growsonyou.com/question/show/57780

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,122

They are crocosmia probably lucifer, I have exactly the same oversized corms in my garden. I pot them and let them grow bulblets, which I break off and replant for new flowers. That's all they are good for when they reach that size. I sell some of the excess to my local shop who sell them on, and we all make a little profit from it.

You can mash them and put the mash on the compost heap to recycle them if you wish.

• Thanks everyone!  Interesting.  Well I googled crocosimia it looks pretty so I might have a go at getting some bulblets.  Dave, can you tell me how long after potting should I expect to find the bulblets?  Should I try to break apart the whole thing then pot it?  Do you leave it in a shed or outside?  

Many thanks!

• They look too big for Crocosmia corms to me.

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..yes I've been doubting they're Crocosmia... they usually have lots of rooty bits all around the corms... but these are clean...

• BiljeBilje Posts: 383

Each bit can be up to 2 inches across and if they've been left for a while have been over 8 inches long.

they re grow from the newest corm and throw out subsidiary shoots between the last two or three segments in my experience. If I grow any on I plant up the last four inches or so then when they show signs of growth I tip them out the pot and cut away any none growing parts and chuck them in the compost bin. Then repot the growing parts. they are tough little blighters, I always dead head as they can be a bit of a pest for self seeding.

• But crocosmia produce huge clusters of corms, not 5 or 6.

• peacepuffin, do you happen to have any pics of them flowering?