Forum home Garden design

Adding height

Hello!

i moved into a new house about 6 months ago.  Garden was fairly large and complete blank canvas. I've worked for the last 6 months digging lots of flower beds and have split the garden into a woodland area (due to massive oak tree shading that bit), a traditional/cottage/flowers area and a veggie growing area.

I've got lots of diverse shapes in terms of flower beds, paths,  but everything is very flat . I'd like some ideas for adding height. I'm sort of trying to recreate my nan and granddad garden from when I was little so in terms of style it's quite traditional. 

I've planted an apple tree sapling which divides the flowers bit and the veggies bit and I made a sort of wall with an opening from canes which divides the flowers bit and woodland bit.  I'm going to have sweet peas growing up that. I haven't really got much money but I like to go on free cycle a lot so I'm especially interested in any ideas for things I could make out of other old things. 

Thanks in advance for any replies! 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 18,480

You could try growing climbers up obelisks, like clematis. They vary in price or you could make your own. Could you make a trellis if you can't afford one, or a pergola? If you could find some unwanted wooden posts and treat them with wood preserver, bang them in the ground and put wires between them you could grow climbing roses, clematis, honeysuckle. Make wigwams of canes and grow Morning Glory, climbing nasturtiums, more sweet peas - cheap and easy.

Plant a tree, like a rowan or a crab apple, not too big, unless you have a big enough garden to plant bigger trees. Make an island shrub bed with taller shrubs, choisya (evergreen), buddleia, philadelphus, deutzia etc.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I think several people on here have bought olive and bay standard trees from the supermarkets - last year they went for as little as £15 each - even ten for slightly smaller ones.  They have given our front drive a vertical lift, and are equally useful in large moveable pots, or in beds to give structure.  My olives have put on more growth than the bays.  You need to run a long term plan and short term fix side by side.  I find cosmos to be the most amazing plant - it begins about now as a seed, and by the time I am pulling out the stalks next winter, they will be like small tree trunks - the plants go really high (although this year I have bought a dwarf variety, so check the packet!!)

• Thank you everyone these are all great ideas and I'm going to print all the posts off and get started! I just got a greenhouse so I can grow from seed and/or bring on cheaper smaller plants and I bought a clematis Montana because I heard this is a fast grower and I have a 100 ft long fence I would like to eventually have flowers growing on lots of it. 

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Sunflowers are great for adding height quickly and cheaply and will feed the birds later on.  

• Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

The mile a minute clematis will cover it quickly!  Think about growing some other things up it (or through the clematis) which flower at different times of the summer as montana does tend to flower prolifically but for a short period.  Clematis like lots of watering and shaded roots, but I think the montana is a pretty tough customer.  It will even grow up a north facing wall, but if your neighbours get more sun than you do, try to train it so it doesn't pop next door with a bunch of flowers!  And if we get winds like the recent ones, it might help hold the fence up.