Rose and clematis combination

Climbing rose suggestions please!

Got a six foot tree stump to grow climbers up. Open south west facing site, moist soil.

Would like rose/clematis combo if possible. Any suggestions re varieties  please?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,124

Really the choice is huge. I'd look at David Austins website for your climbers, you can check the boxes for colour and climbers. Any number of clematis will happily grow through a climbing rose, but before you decide, try to pick which one you want to be the star of the show, rose or clematis. For the clematis you can choose either a repeat flowering variety or one which has only one display. Personally I go for the repeat flowering, and when planting plant deep and about a foot from the rose. It gives them both room to grow, the clematis can be guided  to the rose, although clematis can smother a rose very quickly, so choose carefully.

• Do you get an overlap of flowering Mike, or is the Montana finished by the time the Iceburg starts blooming? I planted Rosa Iceberg in quite heavy shade last year and it's doing really well.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 54,464

Have a look at the Clematis Alpinas - they'll be flowering before most roses, they're not so rampant that they'll swamp things and don't need pruning.  I think they'd do the job well image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,471

Similar to Mike, I had a montana planted near the back door at a previous house. It was trained one way to go along the side fence and the other to go over the back door. At the fence side I had a New Dawn rose and on the other side a clematis Rouge Cardinal. They used the montana as their climbing support.  If I ever needed to hack back the montana (which I did) it was done after the clematis had finished flowering  in early autumn. I did some smaller bits of pruning now and again to keep everything happy and tidy image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..a very personal choice roses and clematis... but something I would watch for with an old tree stump is whether honey fungus lurks in the ground around it... if all is well, then I would try a thornless rose and ramble it around the trunk as it grows up... I might try one called 'Kew Gardens' [single yellow/creamy white flowers] with Clematis 'Prince Charles' - lavender blue and which is not too overpowering...

• I have this climbing rose & clematis combo..... sadly I can't recall the rose's name. The clematis is Perle d'Azur. 

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/clematisPerledAzur.jpg