Pound Shop Lupins

Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

My girlfriend brought me back Lupins from the pound shop. They are a bag of soil with roots and shoots in. It says on the pack to plant them at 7cm, I was just wondering should I bury the whole thing under soil or shoud some of the shoots be seeing sunlight. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,713

I'd keep the shoots in daylight Jack, but it may not make too much of a difference if they're very small. Keep an eye out for slugs/snails and aphids - they all love lupins! image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,613

Yes I'd let the shoots just peek out - I'd pot them up in pots for now and put them in a sheltered place outside -  it'll make it easier to keep an eye out for slugs on the new tender shoots - maybe even spread some sharp sand over the surface of the compost, slugs don't like it  - then plant them out when they're bigger.

Nice to get the under gardener involved - I'm training mine up too image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Jack 3Jack 3 Posts: 360

Ah, thank you! I seem to have large amounts of slugs and snails in my garden, I'm sure most gardens do, I'll have to keep an eye out.

Ah thank you! I'll try potting them first then.

Such good advice on this forum, I've learnt more in a couple of days on here, than I have trying to work stuff out by searching on google for weeks.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,713

It's definitely the best way Jack. Especially when you have loads of things to identify in a mature garden like that. People here have the experience and you can't get that on google! I've had so much help here since I joined, and it's nice to give something back whenever possible, though I don't have anything like the knowledge that lots of people here have image

Yes, it's brilliant! I imagine it will be a while before I have any worthwhile knowledge. You seem to know a lot really.

This is a good time of year also, everything in the garden seems to be changing by the day.

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 1,983

ooh! want some lupins and that's my price range!!