Physocarpus opulifolius 'Diablo'

nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

Does P. opulifolius 'Diablo'  look totally dead at this time of year or is mine totally dead?

I fear the latter

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,776

Are they not a bit dubious hardiness - wise nut?

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,255

Are they Fg?, I didn't know that, probably dead then. Though it survived the last 2 winters.

A friend has one of small tree proportions and I assumed it was hardy. 

Thanks Fairy, another one for the shredder

Not 100% sure nut - maybe I'm wrong. Will have a little look around- perhaps I'm thinking of something else image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,799

Nut, RHS says it's suckering - maybe if the top growth is kaput the roots may throw up some new shoots image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Had a quick look at RHS site- seems they are hardy so I must have been having a senior moment nut! image

Is there no sign of life? Would have thought you'd have had a shoot or two by now if it's reasonably mature and established.

Very shrunken looking buds. I fear the worstimage About 4 years old, more if you count nursery time, 3 or 4 foot high

Ah well, plant fairs coming up soonimage

Maybe  I'll continue my boundary wildlife hedge through where it was, plenty of free seedlings around the place 

When one door closes nut...image

True Fairy

I have one great skill in gardening. As soon as something dies I can see how much better the garden is without it. It saves a lot of grief

• I'd never heard of this so I googled it, looks gorgeous.