Shed roof

Hi all. What a lovely day it's been and it's made my thoughts go back to how i would like to do something with my very boring brick build shed. I have started to grow some climbing plants up the walls but would like to do something with the flat roof and was wondering if any of you have tried this, any suggestions of might and might not work would be very much-appreciated.. Many thanks x

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,043

I haven't tried, our sheds are a bit too pitched but sedums are used a lot for this. Do make sure the structure is strong enough though. It's a heavy weight you're looking at and you don't want it on your head

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,156

i all ways have some pots and tubs  round the edges . image

• what do you put in your pots, i tried some last year but the wind blew them over too many times for my liking

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,043

Anything heavy enough to stay put would be too heavy for me to lift up thereimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

My studio roof is 'Torch On' with white chippings on it; the builder told me not to put anything on it in case the 'Torch On' gets pierced by the stonesimage

It's a shame as I would love to have a sun lounger up there in the summer timeimage

Have you thought of hanging baskets? The brick walls would take the weight of those.

You could be growing Tumbling Tom Tomatoes in themimage

• I did flowers in hanging baskets last year but was thinking strawberries n tomatoes this year, but would welcome any suggestions image x

• My Mum has put house leeks on the roof of her shed. They look fab but took a while to get established.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,788

You can buy 'mats' of sedums to establish on roofs - you need to get the sub-strata right first to ensure good drainage etc, and ensure the roof is strong enough.  Once the plants and growing medium hold water you'd be surprised how heavy it gets!

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes.