Forum home Plants

Young perennials/seedtrays in or out of greenhouse?

LokelaniLokelani Posts: 112

I"ve collected & sown various perennial seeds in trays.

I also have delphiniums & similar grown from seed this year still in pots on the outside table. I just couldn't face putting them in the borders so small to fend off all the hundreds of slugs & snails!  

I'm thinking of putting them in the unheated greenhouse now to over winter. They're getting so sodden all the time they don't look very healthy.  This will also give slug/snail protection. 

Good idea or bad?

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Sounds like a great plan to me. I have done this before and found they  really struggled in pots when it rained non stop for 10 days.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Good idea.

• LokelaniLokelani Posts: 112

Oh good. Thanks. image

Then I can just give them the bare minimum of water, if & when they need it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • My perennials grown from seed are huge healthy plants, is now (november) too late to plant out?  If I leave in cold frame, Which is packed!, do I need to close it down to protect from frost?

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Lynne Cannell wrote (see)

My perennials grown from seed are huge healthy plants, is now (november) too late to plant out?  If I leave in cold frame, Which is packed!, do I need to close it down to protect from frost?

If the plants are big enough and have a big enough root-ball-then you will still get way with planting them now providing the ground is nor freezing or waterlogged

As regards the cold -frame- do not molly-coddle the plants only close it down if we have a prolonged cold spell- then you can always throw an old blanket over the top to give a bit more protection

• word of warning,Snails and slugs live in the Greenhouses and you might want to protect them,even if its cold ,soon as it warms up they will be there!image

• I have had great success with Growing Success slug pellets, they are non poisonous to animals and birds.  I use them in the greenhouse in very small, but regular numbers and find they do the trick.  Must remember to keep them topped up though, they don't last as long as the poisonous sort.imageimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,850

They certainly won't want a heated greenhouse. My concern for this winter is the extreme wet we have already. Drowning and rotting will be a bigger problem than cold