Forum home The potting shed

Sowing Cucumbers

Hi All

I have started some Cucumber seeds indoors and in six days they have gone from planted seed to leggy six inch plus long plants. I suspect I have brought them on too fast? Can you help and can I recover them. I have a greenhouse (unheated) and also I have several heated propagators. Please advise

Thanks

Terry

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Hi Terry, sorry to say that I think they've had it. They can't go into GH far too cold and the rate that they'll grow inside, plus amount of light issues, means you'll just have triffids.

I germinate indoors and then grown in a cold GH but won't be sewing seeds until the end of March, at the earliest.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,159

I wouldn't plant into an unheated greenhouse until May. That means sowing the seed mid April in a propagator/windowsill.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I never start my cucumbers off (outdoor ones) until well into April beginning May in my mini outdoor greenhouse.  I think you are little bit too keen Terry.imageimage

• Thanks for your reply guys. You live and learn. New to Gardening will re seed in April and try again