onions from seed

Hi, I started my onions off from seed in late january and they are all through amd growing nicely on my window sill. Do you think i should keep thrm on my window sill or transfer them to my unheated greenhouse? I am concerned that thry may not be getting enough light on the window sill but i wouldnt want to lose th_rm to a cold snap.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,930

I would put them in the unheated greenhouse now. They need less heat to grow than germinate. Not enough light will make them lanky, weak and prone to disease.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

I don't have a greenhouse yet, and grew onions from seed on the windowsill last year, and finally put them out in April or May - can't remember exactly, and we had a great crop.  Needless to say, am doing the same this year as a follow on crop from the onion sets I put in in the autumn.  They were only a cheap pack of seeds - 59p I think and I filled the vegetable draws in the fridge and they kept really well.  Good luck!

• would a cold snap kill them do you think?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,930

Once they're up they're pretty hardy. Mine will move from a frost free greenhouse to the unheated plastic polytunnel thing. They were fine last year doing that. If we have a really cold snap, cover with a bit of fleece as extra insulation.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Busy Bee2Busy Bee2 Posts: 1,005

Do you mean in the greenhouse?  If you did as Fidget said, then you could always bring them back in if it went cold .  Probably too early to risk planting them outside.  But having said that, the monthly forecast looks quite favourable in terms of cold snaps.  There doesn't seem to be any imminent danger of snow and ice, and as we get further into the spring, the likelihood will diminish - obviously we can all remember years when there has been snow at Easter, but late snows tend to melt quickly, and the effects aren't prolonged.  Last year I remember looking at seed packets that said you could plant outside in February, but it was so cold that I figured they were referring to 'other Februaries' and I didn't sow seeds outside till late March early April.  This year feels very different, and I think people will take more risks.  Onions must be quite hardy because they grow through the winter from sets - ours are quite big already. 

• That's great, thank you so much for your advice. I will take them to my allotment and put them in the greenhouse tomorrow - the greenhouse is generally frost free, I've had a citrus plant in there for the whole winter and its growing away ok.

Thank you again.

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    My onion seedlings have been in an unheated greenhouse for about two weeks and are thriving...