Courgettes - flowers but no full size fruit

I am temporarily posted to Sierra Leone and usually garden in Lincolnshire.  I wanted to try and grow some things that I have never tried in the UK.  I have great cucumbers, tomatoes, sweetcorn, even parsnips and leeks are growing but my courgettes are not.  I have read there are male and female flowers and at times I have had both on four plants.  However the female ones (with the tiny fruits) never grow full size.  I have tried transferring pollen with a feather (haven't managed to buy a paintbrush) but the large male flowers are rarely open at the same time as the smaller female ones.  The temperature is about 33 degrees and there is no rain at the moment.  I water daily in the evening. Any thoughts?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,759

I have no experience of growing in hot dry temperatures but I do know Lincolnshire quite well image and can imagine the growing conditions are radically different!

Have you looked at the RHS website - it does mention pollination difficulties in high temperatures https://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=676 

Good luck

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

You can try taking a male flower off, pulling off its closed petal and pushing the male bit onto the female bit

• Thank you both for your input.  I will try the idea of removing the male flower as it might last for a few days up until another female one flowers.  I will also have a look at the website.  I wondered whether it also might be the wrong sort of insects but I have seen marrows and pumpkins for sale here.