Forum home Plants

mole plant

Hi everyone I have this plant suddenly appeared last summer now there are 8, i googled it and its very toxic to humans and livestock but good for deterring moles. It can grow up to 4feet high, think it will have to be binned before it gets that high but how would i dispose of it if toxic, could it be thrown into the green garden bin that gets collected, aas the sap is very bad when on skin and clothes.

«1

Posts

  • image

     

    this is a picture

  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

    jill, have you clicked on the tree icon? That will enable you to post your image. BUT some devices do not seem able to post images directly.image

  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

    Ah Hah; it has just appeared. Sorry, it looks familiar but can't think of the name; someone else will I'm sureimage

  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

    Hi Jill, 

    Never herd of this plant before so just googled it - very interesting.  We have had several threads on this forum on how to deter moles so perhaps those who are troubled by moles could plant these.  Then the problem arises what to do with the toxic plants so you are between the devil and the deep blue sea - moles or euphorbia?  image 

  • FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

    It will be fine to dispose of it with normal garden waste or compost heap

  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

    In answer to your question you would be Ok to put it in your green garden collection bin, but be careful you don't get any sap in your eyes and keep your skin covered until it is safely in the bin.

  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

    Have just looked it up; euphorbia lathyrus. When you compost toxic plant matter, like the leaves of rhubarb, they cease to be toxic. Also, quite a lot of pretty garden plants are fairly toxic. I have a monk's hood which is very poisonous, but I manage to resist eating it. I guess it becomes a problem when you have small children as I know as a child I used to love eating the new growth on privet hedges.image

  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,616

    We had it growing in our garden when I was a child - loads of it.  The only time it ever caused a problem was when I became older and Ma gave me an area of the garden for myself - at the age of about 9 I decided I didn't like the spurge (euphorbia) so pulled it out - the sap got on my skin and the sun was shining and a short while later huge red  wheals appeared on my arms and legs - they were treated with calamine.  I survived image

    It is a dramatic looking plant in the right place, and I wouldn't hesitate to give it a home in my garden now, if I had the right spot.  

    Just be careful, if you do pull it up, wear strong rubber gloves and long sleeves, and probably best to do it on an overcast day. 

    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh







  • Looks like the caper spurge (euphorbia) - yes avoid the sap if any of the stems snap, it's also very sticky and will glue the blades of your secateurs together if you try to cut it down - best to pull it out roots and all.

    If you are lucky enough (?) to get the caterpillar it is very pretty!

    image

     

Sign In or Register to comment.