Forum home Talkback

First time hanging baskets

Hi ! 

I am a first time gardener and have been given some hanging baskets by my friend. 

I have been told how to correctly set up the baskets and they are ready for me to choose my flowers and plants and put them in my new garden... however I need some advise on what to chooseimage

I would love the flowers to be as colorful as possible and to live happily in my garden throughout the spring and summer. image

As I am a beginner I would like them to be easy to maintain but beautiful to look at! 

My garden gets sunshine throughout most of the day...

All advise is greatly appreciated image

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,657

Hi Saff Brum put some great pics up on baskets last week ava look they are really good,

• Will do, thanks Alan 

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Saffron, have a look on here. You will find a great selection of books new and used on hanging baskets. I have the one from the RHS with excellent information!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_8?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=hanging+baskets&sprefix=hanging+%2Cstripbooks%2C264

• Thanks so much Sue, 

Had not even thought of that ! image

• hi everyone, my local aldi are selling hanging baskets with tomatoes to grow in them, is this a good idea before i buy one ?  thanks

• That sounds like a good idea Jill...lets wait to hear back from a professional !

How much are they selling them for ?

• allium2allium2 Posts: 413

Hello.  I grew Tumbling Tom last year in a hanging basket. It was great from a novelty point of view but did not produce much fruit unfortunately.  

• allium2allium2 Posts: 413

In terms of hanging baskets I always grow Trailing Lobelia, Geraniums, Fuchsias, and Petunia surfinia.  

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,503

Just a cautionary note - while it's definitely the time for making plans, it's far too early to start planting up hanging baskets etc, unless you have a frostfree greenhouse to keep them in. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Hi Saffron image

I like fuschias and put them in my hanging basket last year:

Unfortunately I can't remember the names of the blue, purple and red flowers. Think I did quite well for my first attempt. (Can you spot me behind the basket image)

My basket had holes in the body, and one plant each went in them. I then had six plants round the top and one in the middle.  The trick was keeping the thing alive, it required watering on a daily basis image

I have to admit, I may have gone a bit bonkers this year as I have bought 4 new GIGANTIC baskets to fill image 

Hope this helps