Replanting Turnip

I recently just found a turnip under the sink that started sprouting.

Never grown turnips before, so answers I want are:

Can this turnip be re-planted?

Can I dissect this so i can have five sprouted sections which can be re-planted?

Best time of year to re-plant?

And any other info, I have not thought of.

• thanks Edd, at least I get free seeds for next year.

I take it turnip greens can be eaten? sorry but I am a newbie on turnips.

I read I be able to replant now?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,579

Why not eat it - that's what I'd do.

If I wanted to grow turnips I'd buy some seeds and give them a decent chance. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I have no idea how long its been there, did have some mold on there. only found it as I was cleaning up underneath the sink.

Although I have dissected it and does look alright, but my wife fuzzy and won't bare to eat it.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,238

If it looks and smells all right then it'll be fine to eat, it's not as though it was meat!

Dordogne and Norfolk

Peel it, chop it up and put it in a stew image 

Root vegetables have always been harvested in late autumn and stored for months through the winter.  They used to be stored in heaps covered with straw and earth called clamps.  Nowadays they're usually stored in a cold-store but some are still stored in clamps on the farm.  

You've just done what the farmer does and stored your turnip - now it's ready to be eaten - if you really can't bear to do that then do you know someone who has a pet rabbit?  He'd love it. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I think I eat it, wont be the first time I made something that I didnt tell my wife what was in the food. I was against cooking it, had no recollection when it was bought, but no rotten parts inside.

although I may plant two segments just for curiosity and experimenting purposes. 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,257

That looks like a swede to me, can you eat swede tops?.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn, I did wonder if it was a swede, but then swedes are called turnips in Scotland aren't they - so I decided to tackle one issue at a time - either way it's fit to eat or feed to a bunny image