Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Growing hellebores

oldchippyoldchippy Posts: 244
I started off with one pink and two white Hellebores now I have dozens of white and still only one pink,and the rest of the garden covered with forget me knots.

• Now that's what I love about gardening ... plants for free!
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,707

I started with one white and one a dusky pink. The pink one has produced more offspring.  I also have forget me nots everywhere... A testament to the fact that I hoe very little, and leave a lot of self setters when I know what they are.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

I pull out just about every forgetmenot I can see at the end of the flowering season, which leaves me enough to be gorgeous but not totally overrun!!  

The darker reddish hellebores have started to push up buds, more than I expected i am happy to say, while the white ones have been open for a while - the pale one with the spotted inside is fully open, lots of flowers and beautiful.

Amazing how much flowering there is going on out there, tho' from indoors it doesn't look as if anything is happening at all except snowdrops and polyanthus - but it isn't so.  Little irises, the reticula group, and the first hepatica nobilis shining out at me from a patch of greenery where it must have self seeded - more power to it and long may it spread. 

• I have 3 hellebores flowering and one nearly trying. That makes me a happy bunny. I'm scared all my new buds are going to get frosted if the weather turns ????

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257

Don't worry Red - hellebore flowers withstand a good frost.  They may look a bit droopy first thing, but by midday they will be nodding away like nothing has happened.  Bit like daffodilsimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Fidget, how many have you got now? Lol image I think you have been sucked into the beauty of the helibore image

Well, not counting the ones I had before that seeded around, I got three versions of H. niger for the front, a double queen, Mrs Betty Ranicar, Shooting star, a harvington pink spotted, A kingston cardinal (double), and then from Ashwoods  i got a single yellow,a double yellow, two double pink speckled, 2 neon singles, a double picotee.....and 10 plugs of washfield doubles from T&M to grow on.   ..oh and a silver dollar with pretty silver leaves.   I guess I got Helleboritis,  but not as bad as Verdun.image

I've just got to build the stone wall around the new bed under the Oak.(about 3 ft high... the wall not the Oak)

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Not to mention the new book on Hellebores.........image

I should get some interesting offspring I hope.