Rhubarb & Onion

Hi, we're embarking on our first grow our own journey. We don't have a lot of space, so we wondered whether we could grow onions in the same bed as rhubarb. The spot is sheltered and partially shaded.  Many thanks!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

No problem with onions and rhubarb but I think onions like the sun

When I saw this thread I thought it was a chutney recipeimage

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,925

Same as Nutcutlet says. Rhubarb will tolerate shade. Onions need sun to grow to a good size.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Many thanks everyone. Might re think the onion plot , although rhubarb and onion chutney could be a winner  image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,925

I rotate sweet corn, onions, and courgette/pumpkins around the sunniest beds. Beans, brassicas except caulis and potatoes will cope with less sun.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,656
    Verdun wrote (see)

Not too near each other though.  Rhubarb spreads a lot.  Rhubarb needs a lot of water too to thrive and onions won't enjoy that 

And of course, rhubarb needs a permanent position and takes up quite a bit of room. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Alan4711Alan4711 LincolnshirePosts: 1,572

cant av 2 much rhubarb in the old garden we just love it and like home grown fruit so easy to give away,, we are doing a new patch this year A BIG ONE, bring on the Rhubarb.

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Yeah, I didn't appreciate how much room my rhubard would take and have had to move one plant this weekend. You could tell it wasn't happy last year since it wanted flower all the time. Hopefully now it should setle in. I hope I took enough soil with it. It weighed a ton, not helped by the rain we'd had. I did see I'd cut through a few big roots though. image Fingers crossed.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,656

The warm dry weather last summer will have encouraged it to send up flower spikes too Jim - mine had a couple of cans full of water most days during the dry spell as we're on a very free-draining loam. 

It's looking promising now  - crumble later this week image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750
    Dovefromabove wrote (see)

The warm dry weather last summer will have encouraged it to send up flower spikes too Jim - mine had a couple of cans full of water most days during the dry spell as we're on a very free-draining loam. 

It's looking promising now  - crumble later this week image

Oooh, that looks great. I love those terracotta forcing jars they really look very attractive. There's something wonderful about terracotta. 

We're on a loam too a sandy loam, but because there's lots of springs not so free draining. But it probably did dry out a lot in the summer as you say and it was right next to my shed. I demolished it the other week and underneath it it was like dust and at least a foot down. I've dug in a good bucket of compost and sprinkled a scoop of BF&B around it. I love rhubarb. What variety/s have you got?