Forum home Problem solving

How do i plant Morning Glory

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

One other thing that ipomea dislikes is root disturbance.  I have taken to sowing them later in the year,  in situ,  and get much better results than when I grew them in a propagator and moved them outside afterwards. 

Gorgeous aren't they?

• a question - i have placed my morning glory in a plastic box and covered them with glass - is it ok (i m only removing the glass once a day, i.e. no permanent ventilation

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    ahmed rami wrote (see)

a question - i have placed my morning glory in a plastic box and covered them with glass - is it ok (i m only removing the glass once a day, i.e. no permanent ventilation

I think you need to read back-dont like root disturbance -dont like cool nights...................

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013
    I sow my Morning Glories in April image
  • I planted mine today in toilet roll tubes so that I dint disturbe the roots. Didnt soak them in water so hope they are ok. What do you grow your on?  Do you have to give the trellis or sticks or can you let them ramble through other trees etc??

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,399

I sow mine in April too as when I did it too soon they got too big before it was warm enough to plant them out. I don't soak the seeds and they always germinate well.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • IswashereIswashere Posts: 67
    Ok I have planted these dwarf morning glory seeds also and they are doing great. I didn't know about the root disturbance until I read this which may be too late as I transplanted some into bigger pots today . Can you tell me please if these are trailing or climbing plants.
  • JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 905
    I have to admit I don’t seem to suffer from most of the issues cited here. A few years ago I planted then and since then each year I find self seeded happy seedlings, they certainly have no problems with cold. When they have a couple of sets of leaves I dig out any that are crowded and they happily move to new homes. I do dead head for most of the summer but just let them self seed in October.

I have a nice healthy batch which have seeded around my miniature budlea bushes so they will be eased out and moved to cover the ugly back fence sometime this weekend! 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,002
    I sow indoors and prick out into small post to grow on, but they need warm conditions to plant out from there. 
    Keep them warm, and wait until June or so, depending on your climate and conditions, for planting out. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• IswashereIswashere Posts: 67
    Can you tell me if they are trailing. When I read about them some information says trailing so I am confused